The Alliance on Aging was established in 1970 by a group of concerned local citizens who wanted to help seniors remain safely in their own homes for as long as possible. This volunteer driven organization which began as a single program with a handful of volunteers is now a multi-purpose senior service agency with over 200 volunteers. The largest non-profit provider of senior services in Monterey County, the Alliance on Aging serves over 7,000 individuals every year.
Alliance on Aging programs include Medicare Counseling & Education (HICAP) , Senior Peer Counseling, Nursing Home Information & Advocacy, Tax Counseling for the Elderly, Benefits Checkup and a monthly Senior Outreach Luncheon in Salinas. Alliance on Aging staff and volunteers provide direct services, information and education to seniors, adult children, caregivers and “baby boomers” who are approaching and preparing for their senior years. The Alliance on Aging’s administrative and program offices are located at 247 Main Street in Salinas. Program staff also occupy office space at the Monterey Senior Center at 280 Dickman Avenue in Monterey. Outreach staff make regular visits to seniors at sites and venues throughout the county. Spirals, a unique consignment and benefit shop located in Pacific Grove, helps to support the programs of the agency.
MEET OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Click here for a listing of our Board Members who worked tirelessly to help seniors in our community
REPORT TO THE COMMUNITY:
As seniors continue to face the mounting challenges of aging, the Alliance on Aging is responding boldly by continuing to provide quality services, improving access and ensuring the viability of programs for seniors in Monterey County. The past year was filled with new opportunities. Here are some highlights we celebrated:
- Helped 1,457 people, who were seeking assistance through Tax Counseling, file their state and federal taxes resulting in refunds of $835,113.
- Medicare Counseling consulted with 2,202 people about their Medicare plans and assisted with problems between our clients and Medicare.
- Reached out to 30,866 people with Resources and general information about services available to seniors through our agency and other agencies.
- Directed 4,767 hours of complaint investigations and resolutions through Ombudsman at all skilled nursing and assisted living facilities in Monterey County.
- Peer Counseling provided 4,647 hours of counseling to individuals and groups of seniors facing critical life challenges.
- Spirals Consignment & Benefit Store is located at 570 Lighthouse Ave. in Pacific Grove. Spirals is the perfect place to buy and sell furniture, clothing, accessories for your home, etc., and helps to support the under-funded programs of AoA. We’re always looking for reliable volunteers so if you’d like to volunteer a few hours a month or more, call us at 831.383.5030.
- We have a professional audit annually.