Got a question? Call us at (831) 655-1334
To schedule an online appointment:
- CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE APPOINTMENT.
- Our program serves people age 60 years & older.
- Tax assistance is provided at no cost, in English and in Spanish.
- To schedule an appointment, CLICK HERE.
Missed Your Tax Filing? We Can Help!
We can help! Call our office to schedule an appointment.
- Or, CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE APPOINTMENT.
- Questions? Call (831) 655-1334
Missing Your Stimulus Checks?
- Please check the following website for help: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments
- Weblink to IRS site for status of your your refund: https://www.irs.gov/refunds
For information about California’s stimulus payments, see the link below.
Here are a few things that people can do with a quick visit to IRS.gov.
Filing a tax return
Taxpayers who earned $72,000 or less in 2020 can file for their taxes using free brand-name tax software with IRS Free File. People who earned more and want to do their own taxes can use Free File Fillable Forms. These are the electronic version of IRS paper forms. Either way, everyone has a free electronic filing option.
View federal tax information online
Taxpayers can go to IRS.gov/account and securely access information about their federal taxes. They can access their tax records, review their payment history, and view tax return information for the current year’s tax return as originally filed.
Get answers to tax questions
The Interactive Tax Assistant tool can help taxpayers get answer many tax questions.
WHAT IS THE TAX COUNSELING PROGRAM?
The Alliance on Aging’s Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program has been serving clients since 1980. Our IRS-certified staff and volunteers operate the program each tax season, and help clients with “off-season” inquiries and tax issues.
Eligibility and assistance:
- Aged 60-plus, blind, or disabled
- Low to moderate income
- NO COST tax filing assistance with federal and state tax forms
- Counseling is conducted individually and confidentially
- Services are provided in English and Spanish
- Appointments are available at sites throughout the county
What do I bring to my appointment?
- Form W-2 “Wage and Tax Statement”
- Form 1099 for such things as dividends, distributions from pensions, annuities, I.R.A., sale of stocks, etc.
- A photo ID
- Your Social Security Card
- Your prior year tax returns
For questions about your taxes, contact Tax Program Coordinator at 831.655.1334.
Want to make a difference in a seniors life? Become a TAX VOLUNTEER. Each year, AOA partners with the IRS and the CA Franchise Tax Board to provide FREE, no cost tax assistance to hundreds of Monterey County seniors. Interested? Call (831) 655-1334 or click here for more information.
The Earned Income Tax Credit is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. Earned income is available for seniors under age of 65.
Taxpayers reaching the age 65 on January 1st are still considered to be 64 as of December 31st
You must have earned income to qualify for this credit.
Your earned income and AGI must be less than:
■ $49,194 ($54,884 for married filing jointly) if you have three or more qualifying children,
■ $45,802 ($51,492) for married filing jointly) if you have two qualifying children,
■ $40,320 ($46,010 for married filing jointly) if you have one qualifying child, or
■ $15,270 ($20,950 for married filing jointly) if you don’t have a qualifying child.
It’s time for paycheck checkup. Get tax help from the IRS site www.irs.gov/ withholding for the following :
Following tax law changes, you should do a paycheck checkup using the IRS’s Withholding Calculator and, if necessary, complete a new W-4 form. The calculator helps determine the right amount of withholding.
You should check if you:
- Are a two-income family.
- Have two or more jobs at the same time or only work part of the year.
- Claim credits like the child tax credit.
- Have dependents age 17 or older.
- Itemized deductions in 2021.
- Have high income or a complex tax return.
- Have a large tax refund or tax bill for 2021.
More IRS Helpful Info
Retirees can avoid surprise tax bills by adjusting the tax taken out of pension payments; A #PaycheckCheckup with the #IRS Withholding Calculator can help: www.irs.gov/withholding
Retired? Make sure you’re paying in enough tax for 2021 by using the #IRS Withholding Calculator to do #PaycheckCheckup now. www.irs.gov/withholding
With tax reform changes, #IRS urges retirees to do #PaycheckCheckup make sure they are paying in enough tax during the year. www.irs.gov/withholding
The #IRS Withholding Calculator can help those who receive pension or annuity payments on a regular schedule perform a #PaycheckCheckup to avoid a surprise tax bill. www.irs.gov/withholding
Retirees receiving pensions or annuities: Visit #IRS Withholding Calculator to do a #PaycheckCheckup to avoid surprise tax bills. www.irs.gov/withholding
If you’re retired use the #IRS Withholding Calculator to see that you’re paying the right amount after tax reform. #PaycheckCheckup. www.irs.gov/withholding