Website Updated: 5/7/21
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU
- Transportation assistance.
- Benefits Checkup.
- Senior Peer Counseling, and Tax Assistance.
Call us at (831) 655-1334 or (831) 758-4011
COVID-19 – updates
Visit the page: CLICK HERE. Or use the “COVID” button on your LEFT green tool bar.
This webpage provides the following:
- COVID Testing Sites — listing of sites by cities.
- COVID Pop-up Test Sites
- Home Test Kits — how to purchase, cost, reliability?
- Scam Alerts — beware of the latest scams.
- COVID Resources — where to find help.
- COVID Vaccines — see the latest updates.
COVID VACCINATION UPDATES
COVID (Call In) HOTLINE FOR APPOINTMENTS
Good news–the State of CA has launched a new COVID hotline (phone call-in) to assist persons with scheduling COVID appointments. For persons who do not have access to computers or unable to use or navigate online appointment registration, this is a game changer. A “live” person will assist caller with registering for vaccine appointments using the State’s MyTurn (https://myturn.ca.gov/) COVID registration site.
- COVID HOTLINE: (833) 422-4255 (in multiple languages).
- INSTRUCTIONS: There are (7) menu options. Click on Option #1 or #2 for COVID assistance.
- HOURS: M-Sat (8am – 8pm); Sun (8am – 5pm)
COVID APPOINTMENTS: WHAT IS “MY TURN“?
- MyTurn (https://myturn.ca.gov/) is California’s ONLINE COVID registration website.
- It is a ONE-STOP shop for vaccine appointments in your local area.
- MyTurn is available in 12 languages. They re: English, Spanish, Arabic, Armenian, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Punjabi, Russian, and Tagalog.
- The site will automatically notify you of your eligibility and can schedule your vaccine appointments.
(NEW): Vaccines At Your Local Drugstores and Supermarkets
- DRUGSTORE: CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, Alisal Pharmacy, Pharmaca, Star Pharmacy and more
- SUPERMARKET: Safeway, Lucky
- OTHERS: Walmart, Costco
For more information, visit our COVID Vaccines webpage.
(NEW) IRS EXTENDS TAX DEADLINE TO MAY 17TH
The new tax deadline for Federal individual tax returns has been extended to May 17 (instead of April 15th). NOTE: The May 17 deadline does not apply to State income tax. Additional guidance will be provided by the IRS in the coming days.
What does this mean?
- Individual taxpayers can postpone federal income tax payments for the 2020 tax year due on April 15 to May 17, 2021, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This postponement applies to individual taxpayers, including individuals who pay self-employment tax.
- Penalties, interest and additions to tax will begin to accrue on any remaining unpaid balances as of May 17, 2021.
For information about the Economic Impact Payments, click here.
Tax Appointments: Still Time To Get Your Taxes Done
The Alliance on Aging Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program is here to assist you. We are open for tax appointments, click here for online appointment. We request that you be patient as you wait for your call-back.
- Our program serves people age 60 years & older.
- Tax assistance is provided at no cost, in English and in Spanish.
- To schedule an appointment, CLICK HERE.
Questions? Call (831) 655-1334 or visit our Tax Counseling for the Elderly program.
(NEW): Medicare Seminar: Learn the Basics (May 28 @ 4:00pm)
Are you turning 65? Do you have questions about Medicare? Join us for a FREE, one-hour Zoom presentation about Medicare Basics for 2021. You will learn about Part A, Part B, Part C Advantage Plans, Part D, Supplemental Plans, Low Income Assistance Programs, penalties, and much more!
- DATE: Friday, May 28th
- TIME: 4:00PM-5:00PM
- ZOOM LINK: See our flyer for more info in ENGLISH or SPANISH
- https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81822863558?pwd=SFphN0lDNzg0ZzB0MHl YN0ZBUlJtZz09
- Meeting ID: 818 2286 3558
- Passcode: 892414
- Dial in: +1 669 900 6833
For more information, please contact Moncerat Politron at 831-646-5049.
(NEW) I REMEMBER PAPA (JUNE 19 – 20)
This year, with restrictions on visitations due to the Covid-19 virus, our community volunteers will not be able to deliver baseball caps to senior men. Instead, they are bringing cheers and joy through Father’s Day cards. The goal? To let these senior men know that they are not forgotten on that special day, Father’s Day.
Help us make a difference in the lives of senior men. Your contribution to “I Remember Papa” supports the important work of the Alliance on Aging. CLICK HERE to donate.
Easing of COVID restrictions IN LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
For over a year, families have been unable to visit their parents, grandparents or relatives living in long-term care facilities due to the lockdown. It is especially challenging for families to be unable to physically check-in on their loved one’s physical and mental well-being.
The California Department of Public Health has now eased restrictions on visits to long-term care facilities. Please read the excellent article from the MONTEREY HERALD about the new guidance and how local facilities are working to enable visitations.
- Monterey Herald article: click here.
- CA Public Health Guidelines on Long-Term Care Facilities: click here.
ITEMS OF INTEREST
Do you want to work with SENIORS and help them cope with the challenges of aging? Do you speak Spanish and/or are Bilingual? Are you 55 years of age or older? Do you have your own transportation or other means of transporting yourself? Are you available 1-3 hours weekly to provide peer counseling? If you say YES to all of the above questions, we would love to have you as a VOLUNTEER to our Senior Peer Counseling Program. We will provide you with training and ongoing guidance. For more information, click here for ENGLISH and here for SPANISH.
WE ARE ON AMAZON SMILE!
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same services.
TO GET STARTED:
- Click this link to visit AmazonSmile
- Sign in with your normal Amazon login.
- Type “Alliance on Aging Inc” into the “pick your own charitable organization” searchbox.
- Click “Select” next to “Alliance on Aging Inc”.
- Shop away!
SPIRALS BENEFITS SHOP — New Policy
Given the recent surge in COVID cases, the Alliance on Aging’s Spirals Benefit Shop, will no longer be accepting donations or consignments until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but rest assure that our priority is to ensure the safety and health of our shoppers and those who consigned their goods to the store. Come and visit Spirals for your holiday shopping needs. Our store hours are listed below. Face mask is required.
- (New) Temporary store hours: Tues-Sat, 10:00am-4:00pm.
- Store is closed on Mondays and Sundays.
- Location: 570 Lighthouse Ave, Pacific Grove. Tel: 831-383-5030
- Want to see the merchandise? Click here.
SENIOR — RESOURCES
HOW TO CoPE with Mental Health
Are you worried and feeling depressed about the current COVID crisis? Are you feeling isolated and depressed? You are NOT ALONE! The current social distancing measures can have a real impact on a person’s mental health, especially for older adults who may feel particularly isolated. Our peer counselors are here to help support you. Call us at 831-758-4011 or 831-655-1334. Click here for how they can help you.
- (NEW): Tips and strategies VIDEOS. In partnership with Monterey County Department of Behavior Health, we will be launching a new video each week with tips and strategies in dealing with isolation, anxiety, depression and more. There will be six videos total. Click here for ENGLISH video. SPANISH video.
TRANSPORTATION: Fares Resumes
- Senior Shuttles: Call at least 24 hours in advance. 1-888-678-2871
MST is now requiring passengers age 12+ to wear face masks.
FOOD RESOURCES FOR SENIORS
Home delivered meals for home bound seniors. For many home bound seniors, access to a nutritious meal is extremely important. Meals on Wheels (two locations: in Monterey and Salinas) are continuing their services for these seniors. For more information, click on:
- Meals on Wheels: Monterey Tel: 831-375-4454
- Meals on Wheels: SALINAS ONLY: Tel: (831) 758-6325.
- MARINA: CHISPA has teamed up with Meals on Wheels to provide food to seniors at Marina Manor and The Jensey Oaks.
- MARINA: The Thomas Carmen Pantry in partnership with the Epiphany Lutheran & Episcopal Church is providing “drive thru” groceries pickup on Tuesdays (5pm–7pm)and Saturdays (9am-11am) at: 425 Carmel Ave., Marina (Epiphany church).
- MONTEREY: Shoreline Church, 2500 Garden Road, is partnering with Islands Restaurant to provide meals for seniors on Tuesday and Thursdays (12:30pm-2:30pm) and groceries, if needed.
Farmer’s Market Coupons: No Longer Issued Due to COVID-19
The Seniors Farmers Market nutrition program, designed to provide low-income seniors with access to locally grown fruits and vegetables through farmers’ markets, will no longer be issuing coupons for food purchases. Instead, the state of California has donated all coupons to local food banks to better serve the needs of seniors. See below for the listing of food banks that is closest to you.
Food Bank (Schedule):
- Marina: Mon: 9:30am-10:30am; Fri: 1:00pm-3:00pm
- Monterey: Fri: 9:30am-10:30am
- Seaside: Three locations on Tue: 9:30am; 11:00am; 4:00pm
- Salinas: Various locations Mon-Fri.
- South County: Chualar, Greenfield, Gonzales, King City, Soledad, San Ardo
- North County: Castroville, Pajaro, Castroville
- Senior-Sites: Marina and Carmel Valley
- Prunedale Senior Center: Food bag distribution will continue on Thursdays for Grey Bears, veteran seniors.
For more information, please call (831) 758-1523 or 211.
What Happens If You Have to Go to the Hospital?
Many people are concerned about getting emergency care at local hospitals during COVID-19 crisis. Putting off critical care is dangerous and could expose a person to serious long-term health complications.
SVHS has produced podcasts/video on the steps that they have taken to ensure patients are safe and healthy during their visit. Example: temperature screening for all incoming patients, treating COVID-19 patients in a separate area and more. For more info, click here.
(UPDATED): Senior Shopping Hours
To assist seniors to be able to purchase groceries and other essentials items, many stores have designated special senior hours, usually just before store opening. For a listing of stores that have senior hours:
PHARMACIES: Home Delivery/Curb Side Pickup
In need of medicines and refills? Many pharmacies are now offering home delivery and curbside pickup. For a list of pharmacies that provide home delivery/curbside pickup, see below. Please note that there might be delays with home delivery given the current demand.
TriCare: Please call your pharmacy to request mail order or ask your doctor to submit prescription mail order pharmacy.
- Veterans Administration: mail prescriptions is an option. Call the VA 650-493-5000 or clicking here.
Online grocery/curbside delivery:
Want to save time and avoid long lines? Try online grocery shopping. Many local stores are offering grocery delivery to your door or have groceries ready for you for curb side pickup. For instructions and listing of online stores:
- MONTEREY: Stores offering home deliveries/curb side pickup
- SALINAS: Stores offering home deliveries/curb side pickup
RESOURCES & TIPS: For Families With Loved Ones in Nursing Homes
Concerned about your loved ones living in long-term care facilities for seniors being mistreated, abused or neglected? Alliance on Aging’s Ombudsmen can help. Ombudsmen are state certified individuals who resolve the problems of residents of nursing homes and residential care facilities for the elderly. Click here for how we can help. Additional resources:
- Crisis Hotline: English/Spanish
- COVID-19 and Nursing Homes: What Families Need To Know. Spanish.
- Tips for Staying Engaged/Connected in Nursing Homes.
Monterey County Services for Seniors UPDATE
Monterey County Department of Social Services (MCDSS) continues to operate during the current COVID crisis. Services include: Adult Protective Services, In Home Supportive Services for seniors and more.
- For more info about their essential services, click: ENGLISH or SPANISH.
- For additional resources: 211 Search
- COVID-19 Senior Resource Guide: For a comprehensive guide lists health services, food assistance, senior shopping hours, housing assistance and more. Click here to access the guide.
FOR VETERANS: Info On Mesothelioma
If you are a veteran who has been exposed to asbestos in Navy ships, the Mesothelioma Veterans Center may be able to help you. They have a free veterans packet that will explain the top treatments, doctors and VA benefits. Asbestos was used in all U.S. Navy ships manufactured before 1980, and every Sailor or workman who served on these ships was likely exposed to asbestos. Click here to visit their site.
DISASTER – RESOURCES
HOW TO PREPARE FOR AN EMERGENCY:
For CAL FIRE’s fire incidents map updates, click here.
- Click here for Disaster and Emergency Preparedness for Older Adults. Click here for SPANISH.
- Click here for Evacuation Supply CHECKLIST.
- Click here for TIPS on how to get ready to evacuate.
- Click here for family disaster plan TEMPLATE.