Website Updated: 10/18/21
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU
- Transportation assistance.
- Benefits Checkup.
- Senior Peer Counseling and Tax Assistance.
Call us at (831) 655-1334 or (831) 758-4011
COVID-19 – updates
Visit the page: CLICK HERE. Or use the “COVID” button on your LEFT green tool bar.
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment, please visit: MyTurn (https://myturn.ca.gov)
MEDICARE UPDATE 2022
Soon you’ll open your mail box to discover announcements from your prescription drug plan. Insurances are required to notify members of cost & benefit changes that will occur in 2022. The mailings can be overwhelming! Come to one of our ‘MEDICARE UPDATE 2022’ seminars near you. In October & November we’ll provide FREE one hour presentations to get the information you need to make a wise decision during the Annual Medicare Enrollment. We’ll educate you on changes to Part A, Part B, Part C Advantage Plans, Part D and Low Income Assistance Programs that will begin next year.
- DATE: Wednesday, October 27 @ 4pm
- PLACE: Alliance on Aging – 247 Main St., Salinas 93901
For additional locations near you – Medicare Update 2022 List of Seminars
(New) Transportation Service is expanding to North County and South County
Alliance on Aging has partnered with the Independent Transportation Network (ITN) in Monterey County to launch a new rural rides program in North and South County. The service is scheduled to begin next January…stay tuned for upcoming developments!
(NEW) MATTER of BALANCE – nine session series of Virtual classes begins September 14 – November 9
Many older adults experience concerns about falling and restrict their activities. A MATTER OF BALANCE is an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increased activity levels. The program emphasizes practical strategies to manage falls.
Tuesdays 1 pm – 3 pm Sponsored by Natividad Hospital Trauma Center. To register, please call (831) 772-7357
Flyer details – CLICK HERE
Missed Your Tax Filing? We Can Help!
We can help! Call our office to request an appointment. (831) 655-4242
(Please allow 2-3 business days for us to respond.)
Easing of COVID restrictions IN LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
For over a year, families have been unable to visit their parents, grandparents or relatives living in long-term care facilities due to the lockdown. It is especially challenging for families to be unable to physically check-in on their loved one’s physical and mental well-being.
The California Department of Public Health has now eased restrictions on visits to long-term care facilities. Please read the excellent article from the MONTEREY HERALD about the new guidance and how local facilities are working to enable visitations.
- Monterey Herald article: click here.
- CA Public Health Guidelines on Long-Term Care Facilities: click here.
- Virus Geeks.
ITEMS OF INTEREST
Do you want to work with SENIORS and help them cope with the challenges of aging? Do you speak Spanish and/or are Bilingual? Are you 55 years of age or older? Do you have your own transportation or other means of transporting yourself? Are you available 1-3 hours weekly to provide peer counseling? If you say YES to all of the above questions, we would love to have you as a VOLUNTEER to our Senior Peer Counseling Program. We will provide you with training and ongoing guidance. For more information, click here for ENGLISH and here for SPANISH.
WE ARE ON AMAZON SMILE!
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same services.
TO GET STARTED:
- Click this link to visit AmazonSmile
- Sign in with your normal Amazon login.
- Type “Alliance on Aging Inc” into the “pick your own charitable organization” searchbox.
- Click “Select” next to “Alliance on Aging Inc”.
- Shop away!
SENIOR — RESOURCES
Get your financial affairs in order!
If you or someone you know is affected by Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, the time for legal and financial planning is now. Alzheimer’s Association is offering a free, virtual workshop October 15th. Learn about important legal and financial issues you may face and how to put plans in place. Registration link: Click here
HOW TO CoPE with Mental Health
Are you worried and feeling depressed about the current COVID crisis? Are you feeling isolated and depressed? You are NOT ALONE! The current social distancing measures can have a real impact on a person’s mental health, especially for older adults who may feel particularly isolated. Our peer counselors are here to help support you. Call us at 831-758-4011 or 831-655-1334. Click here for how they can help you.
- (NEW): Tips and strategies VIDEOS. In partnership with Monterey County Department of Behavior Health, we will be launching a new video each week with tips and strategies in dealing with isolation, anxiety, depression and more. There will be six videos total. Click here for ENGLISH video. SPANISH video.
- Senior Shuttles: Call at least 24 hours in advance. 1-888-678-2871
MST is now requiring passengers age 12+ to wear face masks.
FOOD RESOURCES FOR SENIORS
Home delivered meals for home bound seniors. For many home bound seniors, access to a nutritious meal is extremely important. Meals on Wheels (two locations: in Monterey and Salinas) are continuing their services for these seniors. For more information, click on:
- Meals on Wheels: Monterey Tel: 831-375-4454
- Meals on Wheels: SALINAS ONLY: Tel: (831) 758-6325.
- MARINA: CHISPA has teamed up with Meals on Wheels to provide food to seniors at Marina Manor and The Jensey Oaks.
- MARINA: The Thomas Carmen Pantry in partnership with the Epiphany Lutheran & Episcopal Church is providing “drive thru” groceries pickup on Tuesdays (5pm–7pm)and Saturdays (9am-11am) at: 425 Carmel Ave., Marina (Epiphany church).
- MONTEREY: Shoreline Church, 2500 Garden Road, is partnering with Islands Restaurant to provide meals for seniors on Tuesday and Thursdays (12:30pm-2:30pm) and groceries, if needed.
Food Bank (Schedule):
- Marina: Mon: 9:30am-10:30am; Fri: 1:00pm-3:00pm
- Monterey: Fri: 9:30am-10:30am
- Seaside: Three locations on Tue: 9:30am; 11:00am; 4:00pm
- Salinas: Various locations Mon-Fri.
- South County: Chualar, Greenfield, Gonzales, King City, Soledad, San Ardo
- North County: Castroville, Pajaro, Castroville
- Senior-Sites: Marina and Carmel Valley
- Prunedale Senior Center: Food bag distribution will continue on Thursdays for Grey Bears, veteran seniors.
For more information, please call (831) 758-1523 or 211.
What Happens If You Have to Go to the Hospital?
Many people are concerned about getting emergency care at local hospitals during COVID-19 crisis. Putting off critical care is dangerous and could expose a person to serious long-term health complications.
SVHS has produced podcasts/video on the steps that they have taken to ensure patients are safe and healthy during their visit. Example: temperature screening for all incoming patients, treating COVID-19 patients in a separate area and more. For more info, click here.
RESOURCES & TIPS: For Families With Loved Ones in Nursing Homes
Concerned about your loved ones living in long-term care facilities for seniors being mistreated, abused or neglected? Alliance on Aging’s Ombudsmen can help. Ombudsmen are state certified individuals who resolve the problems of residents of nursing homes and residential care facilities for the elderly. Click here for how we can help. Additional resources:
- Crisis Hotline: English/Spanish
- COVID-19 and Nursing Homes: What Families Need To Know. Spanish.
- Tips for Staying Engaged/Connected in Nursing Homes.
Monterey County Services for Seniors UPDATE
Monterey County Department of Social Services (MCDSS) continues to operate during the current COVID crisis. Services include: Adult Protective Services, In Home Supportive Services for seniors and more.
- For more info about their essential services, click: ENGLISH or SPANISH.
- For additional resources: 211 Search
- COVID-19 Senior Resource Guide: For a comprehensive guide lists health services, food assistance, senior shopping hours, housing assistance and more. Click here to access the guide.
DISASTER – RESOURCES
HOW TO PREPARE FOR AN EMERGENCY:
For CAL FIRE’s fire incidents map updates, click here.
- Click here for Disaster and Emergency Preparedness for Older Adults. Click here for SPANISH.
- Click here for Evacuation Supply CHECKLIST.
- Click here for TIPS on how to get ready to evacuate.
- Click here for family disaster plan TEMPLATE.