Website Updated: 9/22/22
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have”
A Community Leader and Advocate, Alliance on Aging provides services and
resources that address the challenges and opportunities for
older adults in Monterey County.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU
We are happy to announce our newly remodeled office at 247 Main St is once again open to the public. You can enter through our Alliance on Aging , 247 Main Street entrance or, for your convenience, you can park in the parking lot on Monterey St. and enter through our new HUB entrance at 236 Monterey Street.
We assist our clients in person, via telephone, email, Zoom and by appointment in Spanish and English.
Call us at (831) 655-1334 or (831) 758-4011
- Transportation Assistance
- Benefits Checkup
- Senior Peer Counseling
- Tax Assistance
- For information about activities at the HUB Click Here
BREAKING NEWS….The fun & outrageous Trashion Show & Luncheon returns to King City
11:30am Tuesday, September 13th !!!
Join us in a blast to the past era of an ‘American Band Stand’ !
To access to all the details: Click Here
MOVING THROUGH GRIEF series with Doctor Sunny
For older adults, grief may come from loss of—mobility, independence, a loved one, etc. This five week series is
designed to help release the stagnant energies of grief stored in the body through movement, breathing and affirmations.
Be prepared for gentle stretches, simple movements (can be done both standing or sitting) and meditation to move through the grief and fill your body, mind and spirit with healing energy.
When: 9:30am-10:30am Friday, September 2nd, 16th & 30thFriday, October 14th & 28th
Where: The HUB Community Room 236 Monterey Street, Salinas
To register, call 831.646.4931 or 831.646.5050
***Bus Passes and Taxi Vouchers available, if transportation is an issue please ask about them when you call to register.
*This activity is made possible through the generosity of Hospice Giving Foundation
Turning 65 in the next few months? If so, you’re eligible for Medicare !
Get the information you need to understand the parts of Medicare, when & how to enroll. We can help you! The first step is to attend one of our Medicare Basics presentations. You’ll learn a lot from our staff and there is no cost to attend. Our moto: it’s better to make a wise choice about your help coverage rather than unravel a hasty decision.
WHEN: 5:30pm, Thursday, September 29, 2022 (English)
WHERE: The Hub at Alliance on Aging, 236 Main Street, Salinas. CA 93901
In order to attend, proof of COVID vaccination is required or NEGATIVE COVID test within 72 hours of seminar.
Transportation is the #1 need of seniors in our area!
Provide a Ride, change a Life- Volunteers Needed Now! Alliance on Aging has partnered with the Independent Transportation Network (ITN) in Monterey County to launch a new rural rides program in North and South County. ‘Valley Line’, we will serve ITN members south of Salinas to Soledad AND ‘Valley Line North’ will expand in the northern stretches of our county to Las Lomas.
- Drive at your convenience.
- Most rides are less than 20 minutes.
- Meet interesting people while helping others.
- Earn credits for yourself or a loved one or get mileage reimbursement.
If you are interested in volunteering or being an ITN member, call 831-233-3447 or go to itnmontereycounty.org for any questions and to sign up.
Let the United Way know what issues and community services are important to you by participating in an online survey!
Its quick & easy to share your valuable input – voice your opinion by October 15!
Go to: www.IMPACTMONTEREYCOUNTY.ORG/2022ASSESSMENT/
Do you have questions about State Medicaid (referred to as Medi-Cal)?
Click on the link below to view ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ regarding Medi-Cal asset limit change that substantially increased limits effective 7/1/22:
Visitation restrictions IN LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
For many families with loved ones in long-term care facilities, the COVID-19 crisis has been particularly heartbreaking.
For updates from CA Public Health Guidelines on Long-Term Care Facilities:
Do you want to work with SENIORS and help them cope with the challenges of aging? Do you speak Spanish and/or are Bilingual? Are you 55 years of age or older? Do you have your own transportation or other means of transporting yourself? Are you available 1-3 hours weekly to provide peer counseling? If you say YES to all of the above questions, we would love to have you as a VOLUNTEER to our Senior Peer Counseling Program. We will provide you with training and ongoing guidance. For more information, click here for ENGLISH and here for SPANISH.
Our Medicare Counseling program is also recruiting. To learn more ~ Click here
We have a dedicated COVID-19 webpage to provide you with the most up-to-date information on COVID vaccines, tests and resources.
Visit the page: CLICK HERE. Or use the “COVID” button on your LEFT green tool bar.
- During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and this flu season, vaccines are an essential way for our communities to stay healthy. California Department of Public Health created a fact sheet regarding flu vaccines that you may find helpful – click here
WE ARE ON AMAZON SMILE!
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same services.
TO GET STARTED:
- Click this link to visit AmazonSmile
- Sign in with your normal Amazon login.
- Type “Alliance on Aging Inc” into the “pick your own charitable organization” searchbox.
- Click “Select” next to “Alliance on Aging Inc”.
- Shop away!
SENIOR — RESOURCES
HOW TO CoPE with Mental Health – Did you know…In 2020, Congress designated the new 988 dialing code to operate through the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Simply dial 988 to get the help you deserve. To learn more Click here
Our peer counselors are here to help support you. Call us at 831-758-4011 or 831-655-1334. Click here for how they can help you.
- Tips and strategies VIDEOS. In partnership with Monterey County Department of Behavior Health, we created a video series with tips and strategies in dealing with isolation, anxiety, depression and more. There are six videos total. Click here for ENGLISH video. SPANISH video.
- Senior Shuttles: Call at least 24 hours in advance. 1-888-678-2871
FOOD RESOURCES FOR SENIORS
Home delivered meals for home bound seniors. For many home bound seniors, access to a nutritious meal is extremely important. Meals on Wheels (two locations: in Monterey and Salinas) are continuing their services for these seniors. For more information, click on:
- Meals on Wheels: Monterey Tel: 831-375-4454
- Meals on Wheels: Entire Salinas Valley: Tel: (831) 758-6325.
- MARINA: CHISPA has teamed up with Meals on Wheels to provide food to seniors at Marina Manor and The Jensey Oaks.
- MARINA: The Thomas Carmen Pantry in partnership with the Epiphany Lutheran & Episcopal Church is open Saturdays from 9 to 11 a.m. and Tuesdays from 4 to 6 p.m. at: 425 Carmel Ave., Marina (Epiphany church).
- MONTEREY: Shoreline Church, 2500 Garden Road, is partnering with Islands Restaurant to provide meals for seniors on Tuesday and Thursdays (12:30pm-2:30pm) and groceries, if needed.
Food Bank (Schedule):
- Marina: Mon: 9:30am-10:30am; Fri: 1:00pm-3:00pm
- Monterey: Fri: 9:30am-10:30am
- Seaside: Three locations on Tue: 9:30am; 11:00am; 4:00pm
- Salinas: Various locations Mon-Fri.
- South County: Chualar, Greenfield, Gonzales, King City, Soledad, San Ardo
- North County: Castroville, Pajaro, Castroville
- Senior-Sites: Marina and Carmel Valley
- Prunedale Senior Center: Food bag distribution will continue on Thursdays for Grey Bears, veteran seniors.
For more information, please call (831) 758-1523 or 211.
RESOURCES & TIPS: For Families With Loved Ones in Nursing Homes
Concerned about your loved ones living in long-term care facilities for seniors being mistreated, abused or neglected? Alliance on Aging’s Ombudsmen can help. Ombudsmen are state certified individuals who resolve the problems of residents of nursing homes and residential care facilities for the elderly. Click here for how we can help. Additional resources:
- Crisis Hotline: English/Spanish
- COVID-19 and Nursing Homes: What Families Need To Know. Spanish.
- Tips for Staying Engaged/Connected in Nursing Homes.
Monterey County Services for Seniors UPDATE
Monterey County Department of Social Services (MCDSS) continues to operate during the current COVID crisis. Services include: Adult Protective Services, In Home Supportive Services for seniors and more.
- For more info about their essential services, click: ENGLISH or SPANISH.
- For additional resources: 211 Search
- COVID-19 Senior Resource Guide: For a comprehensive guide lists health services, food assistance, senior shopping hours, housing assistance and more. Click here to access the guide.
DISASTER – RESOURCES
HOW TO PREPARE FOR AN EMERGENCY:
For CAL FIRE’s fire incidents map updates, click here.
- Click here for Disaster and Emergency Preparedness for Older Adults. Click here for SPANISH.
- Click here for Evacuation Supply CHECKLIST.
- Click here for TIPS on how to get ready to evacuate.
- Click here for family disaster plan TEMPLATE.