As a community leader and advocate, the Alliance on Aging provides services and resources that address the challenges and opportunities of aging.
MOTHER’S DAY is MAY 14 (I Remember Mama)
Did you know that hundreds of elderly women living in skilled nursing and assisted living facilities in Monterey County have little or no communications with anyone from outside the facilities? The Alliance on Aging’s “I REMEMBER MAMA” event has changed that. For the past 22 years, our volunteers have visited each of the 70 senior care facilities in the county to deliver a beautiful flowering plant to a senior woman on Mother’s Day weekend. 1,200 flowering plants were delivered last year. You can help bring joy to senior women through your generous donation. $35 (check or credit card) will provide one flowering plant for a senior woman. You can also designate your donation in honor of someone special. For more information, call (831) 655-1334. Our address: 247 Main St., Salinas, CA. We thank you for your support. Click here for how you can donate.
MONDAYS AT THE MOVIES (April/May)–New Time, 11:30am
FREE film showing every Monday at 11:30am at the Alliance on Aging’s Main Office–247 Main Street. Please do not forget to bring your lunch. Walk-ins are welcome. 831-655-1334. Click here for more inf
- April 24 – Movie: Unfinished Song
- May 1 – Movie: Nebraska
- Guidance Peer Counselors. Do you speak Spanish and/or Bilingual? Are you 55 years or older and are available 1-3 hours per week? If you answered “yes” to the above, we would love to have you as our guidance peer counselor. Training and supervision will be provided. Call Irene Valverde at 831-646-5043 or 831.655.1334 for more information. Click here for how you can volunteer.
- Senior Luncheon Program. Want to meet new friends and have fun while helping seniors? Come volunteer at the Senior Luncheon the first Tuesday of each month. Click here for details.
- Senior Peer Counselors (SPC). The SPC program is looking for volunteers to provide emotional support to older adults who are experiencing the challenges associated with aging. Click here to join the SPC team.
LEARN THE BASICS OF MEDICARE: Monday, May 22 (5:30pm-7:00pm)
Join us for a FREE presentation of “Learn the Basics of Medicare”. In this informative seminar, you will learn the basics of Part A, Part B, Part D, Advantage Plans, Supplemental Plans, Low Income Assistance Programs and more! Call 831-655-1334 to register or if you have any questions.
- May 22 (5:30pm–7:30pm) at the Sally Griffin Active Living Center 700 Jewell Ave., Pacific Grove, CA
TAI CHI FOR HEALTH (10:00am-11:00am)–Every Monday
Have pain? Stressed? Why not try Tai Chi? It is an ancient practice proven to reduce pain and improve your mental and physical well-being. Tai Chi’s gentle exercises also increases flexibility, muscular strength and fitness. Additional advantages include promotion of a corrected posture, integrating the body & mind and improving your Qi. Class begins on Monday, April 17 and continues for 10 weeks. Call 831-655-1334 to register. Click here for class Info.
MEDICARE FRAUD ALERT – Be Aware of Scams
The new Medicare cards are coming. However, the cards will not be available until April 2018. Guess what? Scammers are already jumping on the confusion as an opportunity for fraud. If you receive any suspicious solicitations, hang up and call the Senior Medicare Patrol at 1-855-613-7080. Click here fore more details